For senior citizens and elderly people suffering from mobility or balance problems due to aging (and the complications that come along with it!), walkers and rollators can provide a simple way to stay mobile and active.
However, like with other mobility devices, suitable walkers must be chosen carefully. You want to choose a walker that works for you. In light of this, if you have particular needs, it is generally advisable to consult with a medical professional or physiotherapist before selecting a walker.
But for everyone else, we reviewed dozens of walkers for seniors to identify the best ones on the market for specific types of users. We’ve considered a wide array of essential features, styles, and brands to bring you our comprehensive guide to walkers for the elderly. We hope our guide facilitates you in choosing the best one according to your budget and requirements.
When Should an Elderly Person Get a Walker?
There is no set age at which a person can be expected to buy a walker; this will entirely depend on users’ personal circumstances. However, generally speaking, with age, once a person begins to face difficulty placing their full body-weight on one or both of their legs a walker or other type of mobility aid is recommendable.
A walker can also be useful after knee surgery or a hip replacement. While recovering from these procedures, a mobility aid of some sort will likely be recommended by your doctor or physical therapist, and a walker or rollator can be a great choice for providing independence and support during recovery. It is worth researching before you undergo any surgery so that you are prepared after the procedure.
In This Article
- The 5 Top-Rated Walkers for Seniors
- When Should an Elderly Person Get a Walker?
- Important Features to Consider When Choosing a Walker or Rollator
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Best Walkers for Seniors (Our Top Picks)
- Our Top Pick for Seniors: NOVA Vibe 6 Rollator Walker
- Best Light-Weight Walker: Hugo Mobility Explore Rollator
- Best Narrow Walker: NOVA Traveler 3 Wheel Rollator Walker
- Best Budget Walker: Lumex Walkabout Lite Rollator
- Best Standard Walker (Without Wheels): Vive Folding Walker
- Other Walkers We Reviewed For the Elderly